Holiday cookies - grain-free, dairy-free, no refined sugar
Easy to make cookies that are grain-free, dairy-free and contain no refined sugar and only 5 ingredients. They are great as a dessert with coffee or tea or as a quick snack. Kids love them too. You can eat them plain or decorate them however you want, with some chocolate, nuts and seeds, coconut flakes or anything else your heart desires.
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 3 cups almond flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (these are not very sweet so add more if you want them sweeter; can also use stevia or xylitol instead)
- 4 tbs melted coconut oil
- Put all the ingredients in a food processor and process until a dough consistency is reached.
- Once done, you can either form classic cookie shapes with your hands and place them on a lined cookie sheets or you can use cookie cutters of your choice.
- If using cookie cutters, place 1 portion of the dough on a lightly floured surface (coconut flour works great).
- Sprinkle flour over dough and rolling pin.
- Roll dough to a scant about 1/4-inch tick.
- Use additional flour to avoid sticking.
- Cut out cookies with desired cutter and place them on a lined cookie sheet.
- Bake in 350 F (175 C) for about 10-12 minutes.
- Let cool down completely before decorating.
To make the chocolate:
In a small pot, melt 1/2 cup coconut oil, 3 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder and 2 tbs maple syrup. Whisk well together. Spread on the cookies (repeat until you have a thick layer). Add nuts, seeds, coconut flakes or anything else you wish while the chocolate is still warm. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before eating. Store in the fridge.