Pumpkin pie - gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free and no refined sugar
My kids have been asking me for a quite a long time to make a pumpkin pie so we came up with this recipe. It is grain-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free. It contains lots of fiber, minerals, vitamins, protein and healthy fats. Yes, it's hard to believe that this dessert is actually good for you.
Ingredients for the crust
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 4 pitted dates
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup almond flour
Ingredients for the filling
- 2 cups roasted pumpkin
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Instructions for the crust
- Put all the nuts, coconut oil and dates in a food processor and pulse until a dough consistency is reached.
- Add the almond flour and egg and pulse a few times until well blended.
- Press the crust into a cake or pie dish (9 x 2.75 in / 22.9 x 6.99 cm) and spread evenly.
- Set aside.
Instructions for the filling
- Cut the pumpkin in half and scrape the insides out.
- Bake in the oven in 400 F (200 C) for about 30 - 40 minutes or until tender.
- When done and safe to handle, remove the skin and cut into smaller pieces.
- Put 2 cups of the cut pumpkin into a blender, add the coconut milk, maple syrup, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, eggs and blend until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a pot and while mixing, heat it on a stove but remove it before it starts to boil.
- Pour the mixture into the cake or pie dish on top of the crust and place in a pre-heated oven on 350F (180 C).
- Bake for about 45 - 60 minutes.
- Let it cool down and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.