Apple walnut cake - paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free, no refined sugar
This cake has so many great nutrients in it that it shouldn't even be called a cake. It could easily qualify for a nutritious, healthy meal as it is loaded with protein, fiber, healthy fats, minerals and vitamins. It's not overly sweet so it won't spike your blood sugar level but if you prefer a sweeter dessert, just add a little more maple syrup or raw honey.
- 3 eggs
- 1 mashed banana
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup arrowroot flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- pinch sea salt
- 1 peeled and coarsely grated apple
- 1/2 cup walnuts broken into smaller pieces
- 1 peeled and sliced apple for the top
- Beat the eggs.
- Add mashed banana, maple syrup, melted coconut oil and mix.
- While mixing, add all the flours, baking soda, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, grated apple and mix well.
- Add smaller pieces of walnuts and blend into the batter.
- Transfer the batter into a greased or non-stick baking dish.
- Place the apple slices on top and gently press them into the batter.
- Bake in 365 F (185 C) for about 30 - 35 minutes or until done.