Carrot date cupcakes - gluten-free, dairy free and no refined sugar!
What's for dessert? Do we have something for dessert? Can we have a dessert? I get asked these questions on nearly daily basis and I must say it drives me a little crazy. Especially, when my three year old ask the same question about 80 times in a row. So to satisfy the sweet tooth, I make the desserts at least a bit healthier, yet still delicious.
This will make about 10 cupcakes.
- 3 eggs
- 5 - 8 pitted dates
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup oat flour (grind gluten-free oats)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Put the eggs in a mixing bowl, add coconut oil, vanilla extract and mix well.
- Put the dates in a food processor, add some almond milk and process until a paste is made. I used 5 bigger dates and 1/3 cup almond milk for the paste. The cupcakes were not so sweet. If you want a sweeter taste, use more dates and almond milk.
- Add the date paste to the mixing bowl with the eggs and mix well.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ones and mix.
- Add shredded carrots and mix using a spatula.
- Line cupcake pan with a paper liners, fill with the batter and bake for about 20 - 25 minutes in 365 F (185 C).
To make the whipped cream / frosting
You will just need a can of full fat coconut milk and a sweetener of your choice (I used coconut sugar). Open the coconut milk can and scoop the coconut cream out. The cream should be separated from the coconut water when the can is opened. Just make sure you don't shake the can before opening it. Whisk the coconut cream with your sweetener (if too thick, add some of the coconut water or almond milk) and place on the cupcakes.
I hope you will enjoy this recipe!