Millet apple carrot balls - vegan, gluten-free, dairy free snack or dessert
Millet is a great gluten-free grain that can be used in many different ways. Millet is an excellent source of nutrients, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants and it is the only alkaline grain which counteracts acidity in the body. Millet contains good amounts of potassium, magnesium, copper, phosphorus, manganese, B-vitamins, calcium, iron, zinc, protein and dietary fiber. It protects heart health by lowering bad cholesterol levels and by reducing the blood pressure, it improves digestive system, it helps detoxify the body by optimizing kidney, liver and immune system functions, it reduces the risk of diabetes and cancer, it increases energy level and improves muscle and nerve health. It also contains a high level of silicon which will keep your hair, skin and nails looking its best.
You can enjoy it for breakfast as you would your regular oatmeal. It tastes great with almond milk, nuts and fresh fruit. You can add it to steamed veggies and eat it for lunch or make a quick and easy snack or dessert balls using the following recipe.
- 1 cup millet
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup (or any other sweetener of your choice)
- 2 large carrots
- 1 apple
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- Put washed millet in a pot, add water and bring to boil.
- Once boiling, turn the heat down to medium and let it simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes until done (it should be pretty soft). Stir it every once in a while.
- Remove it from the stove and let it cool down.
- Place the millet in a mixing bowl, add shredded carrots and apple, raisins, lemon juice and mix it well. You can add more maple syrup (or any other sweetener if you want it sweeter).
- Form small balls with your hands and cover them in shredded coconut.
This makes about 25 - 30 balls depending how big or small you make them. Store in a refrigerator.