Buckwheat porridge - nutrient and antioxidant packed breakfast! Gluten-free, dairy free
In case you need to take a break from your morning oatmeal but still want a delicious, quick and healthy breakfast, try buckwheat porridge instead.
Buckwheat is not a grain as many people think but actually a seed. It is a great source of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fiber and amino acids. It is gluten-free, it's easily digestible, contains few calories and practically no fat. It is packed with nutrients such as protein, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, niacin, zinc, iron, vitamin B6 and folate. It will keep your heart healthy by lowering blood pressure and bad cholesterol level, it helps to prevent diabetes, it improves digestion and protects against cancer.
This recipe will make about 3 to 4 servings. Buckwheat has naturally sweeter taste, it's delicious and very easy to make.
- 1 cup buckwheat
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups almond milk
- 2 tablespoons sweetener of your choice (maple syrup, honey, coconut sugar, etc.)
- 1/2 peeled and cut apple
- 3 pitted and cut dates
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Put the buckwheat in a blender and blend until a powdery consistency is reached.
- Pour the almond milk in a pot and warm it. Turn the heat down just before it starts to boil.
- Add the buckwheat and stir it well.
- While mixing, add the cut apple, dates, some sweetener and cinnamon.
- Cook the porridge for about 10 minutes. It's best to keep mixing so it stays smooth. Add more milk if the consistency is too thick.
Top it with cinnamon, nuts, fresh fruits and enjoy this tasty breakfast. In case you have leftovers, keep it in a fridge and just warm it the next day.