Zucchini noodles with red pepper sauce - full of antioxidants!
A great meal or side dish that doesn't take long to make! It is delicious and so beneficial for our health containing many excellent nutrients that will boost immunity and will help us stay strong and healthy. Red bell peppers are an excellent source of antioxidants, fiber, vitamins and minerals. They are loaded with vitamin C which is a powerful antioxidant needed for good immune and adrenal function. It is vital for the formation of collagen, tissue growth and repair, wound healing and strengthening of capillary walls. Red bell peppers also contain a good amount of vitamin A, another important antioxidant which is needed for protein digestion, healthy eyes and bones. The carotenoid, known as lycopene, helps fight free radicals and may help prevent certain types of cancer.
Zucchinis have a rich array of nutrients that help prevent cancer and reduce the risk of heart disease. They are a great source of vitamin C, manganese, fiber, vitamin A and magnesium. They also contain protein, potassium, folate, copper, phosphorus, zinc, niacin and calcium.
Ingredients for the red pepper sauce
Makes about 2 cups.
- 3 red bell peppers
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes (in extra virgin olive oil and herbs)
- 1/2 cup soaked cashews (soak overnight or in hot water for about 1/2 hour to save time). The cashews are optional but they make the sauce creamier and provide more minerals and healthy fat.
- 1/4 cup water (add more water if you prefer thinner consistency)
- sea salt
- Wash and cut the peppers in half removing the seeds. Place peppers in an oiled dish.
- Roast in the oven in 400 F (200 C) until soft, about 15 - 20 minutes.
- Once done, put the peppers and all other ingredients in a food processor or high speed blender and process until a smooth, creamy consistency is reached.
If you prefer, you can remove the skin of the peppers. Once you take them out of the oven, transfer them to a plate and cover with plastic for about 10 minutes before removing skin. I like to leave the skin as I want to keep all the valuable nutrients.
This sauce is great for pasta as well. Just make sure you choose a good quality pasta, preferably a whole grain one.
Ingredients for the zucchini noodles
- as many zucchinis as you want
- sea salt
- fresh herbs (parsley or basil) for garnish
- Use a spiralizer to make the noodles. If you don't have one, you can just cut the zucchinis into small pieces or thin slices.
- You can either boil the noodles in water which will take no more than 5 minutes or lightly saute them in a pan.
- Season with sea salt, fresh herbs or any other seasoning of your choice.