Butternut squash apple soup - superfood for clear, healthy and beautiful skin
This soup is full of antioxidants, especially vitamin A and C that are essential for maintaining healthy and beautiful skin. Rough, dry, scaly skin, acne, eczema, psoriasis and other skin conditions can be significantly improved by consuming foods rich in these vitamins. Vitamin A stimulates growth of the base layer of the skin cells. It helps the cells differentiate normally and does this for both the external skin cells and the body's inner skin, the mucous membrane linings of the nose, eyes, intestinal tract, bladder and respiratory lining. This function protects these areas from cancer cell development. Vitamin A promotes cell turnover in the skin which prevents the formation of wrinkles and blemishes.
Vitamin C is needed for the formation and maintenance of collagen, the basis of connective tissue, which is found in skin. High consumption of vitamin C is associated with less skin wrinkling, faster wound healing, prevention of UV-induced photodamage and maintaining moisture in the skin.
This makes about 5 servings.
- 9 cups cut butternut squash
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 apple
- 2 1/2 cups water
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Place cut butternut squash pieces in a baking dish, sprinkle with salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Add roughly cut onion.
- Roast for about 25 minutes or until tender.
- Once done, blend it in a blender adding water gradually until a desired consistency is reached.
- Pour the soup into a soup pot and bring it to boil.
- Add cut apple, turn the heat down and let it simmer for a few minutes until the apple is softer.
- Add salt and pepper and any other seasoning of your choice if you prefer.