Leek soup - quick and easy, only 4 ingredients
Leeks are a nutrient rich, high fiber vegetable related to green onions. Leeks are rich in potassium, iron, folic acid, calcium, very high in vitamin K, fairly high in vitamin C, some vitamin Bs, silicon, magnesium, sulfur and phosphorus. Leeks contain important phytonutrients such as flavonoid kaempferol which has been shown to support cardiovascular health. Leeks also contain sulfur compounds such as allicin, alliin and sulforaphane. These sulfur-containing substances have anti-inflammatory, anticancer, immunosupportive and antibiotic properties. This leek soup is very easy and quick to make and it is a perfect light and healthy soup to enjoy in the spring.
- 2 leeks
- 1 tablespoon organic butter
- 1/3 cup corn meal
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 - 2 quarts water (1.5 - 2 liters)
- salt and pepper
- Wash and cut the leeks into thin slices.
- In a soup pot, melt the butter and add the corn meal.
- Stir the corn meal with the butter for about a minute and then add the leeks.
- Add water (more water if you want thinner consistency), salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil, turn the heat down to medium and let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the eggs and pour them into the soup.
- Mix it well to make sure the eggs are evenly distributed.
- Cook for another minute or two.
- Add more salt and pepper if needed and any other seasoning you prefer.
- Garnish with fresh herbs.