Shiitake mushroom soup - excellent health benefits
This soup is very easy and quick to make, yet it is incredibly nutritious containing excellent amounts of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and a wide variety of unique phytonutrients. Shiitake mushrooms should be frequently included in our diet as they will greatly benefit our overall health.
Shiitake mushrooms are an excellent source of iron, pantothenic acid, selenium and copper. They are rich in B vitamins, especially vitamin B2 and B6. Shiitake mushrooms are also a very good source of niacin, choline, folate, zinc, manganese, vitamin D (D2 form) and dietary fiber.
Shiitake mushrooms provide a great immune support by enhancing the function of our own immune cells and organs. They stimulate these organ systems to produce more immune cells, or they can increase the activity level of existing cells. Shiitake mushrooms also contain compounds with ability to fight bad bacteria, harmful viruses and fungus and reduce inflammation. In additon, numerous components of shiitake mushrooms have been shown to block tumor growth and prevent against cancer, especially prostate, breast and colon cancer. These beneficial mushrooms also protect our blood vessels, therefore, are excellent for cardiovascular health.
You can easily include shiitake mushrooms in your diet. Add them to soups, pasta, rice, vegetables, eggs or saute them as a side dish with fish, poultry or meat.
Here is a simple soup recipe that will take less than half an hour to make. This makes about 4 servings.
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 finely cut celery stick
- 1/2 cup cut or shredded carrots
- 1 cup cut broccoli
- 2 cups cut shiitake mushrooms
- 1.5 quarts water (about 1.5 liters)
- 1 teaspoon organic vegetable bouillon
- handful of fresh finely cut parsley
- 3 cut green onions
- cooking oil
- salt and pepper
- Heat a little bit of cooking oil in a soup pot and saute the onion and garlic for a bit.
- Add celery, carrots, broccoli, mushrooms and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add water and bring to boil.
- Once boiling, turn the heat down and add the vegetable bouillon.
- Let it simmer for about 15 minutes.
- When it is close to be done, add green onion and parsley.
- Season with salt, pepper and any other seasoning of your choice if needed.